Wednesday, June 15, 2011

So,...your Honor,...whose Fence is it?

Being in the fence industry for nearly 20 yrs now I have seen a lot of issues with fence lines and have heard a lot about fence lines and even have defended against fence lines over whose fence it is or if the fence or even the concrete is on the property of who I am working for. The concrete being two inches on one side of the guys property was one that kinda sticks with me.

There was an estimate that I had went out on and the guy I was seeing asked me about the fence his neighbor had put in. Now his neighbor without getting permission cut up this guys Holly tree in order to put the fence in. The Holly tree was and is clearly on the property of the guy I was called out for and estimate with. The fence wasn't on his property, however the concrete was clearly seen on this his property. He wanted an estimate on what it would take to remove the fence and install it two inches.

To be honest I really couldn't believe it at first but then as I thought about it this guy didn't get permission from his neighbor to hack up his Holly tree to put a fence in. The guy I did the estimate for obviously won the case in court because the company went out and moved the fence over two inches.

Another time it was because of a fence that I was installing. This Vietnam Vet that I was working for decided to have a 7' high brown slatted chain link fence installed with the option of applying barbed wire in the future. The fence is really close to the neighbors boat and so the feud begins. The Vietnam Vet takes pictures and even to the point of leaving a concrete set in line with the post in place, and saving a concrete chunk from the existing fence line. I kinda thought that was a bit odd at first. After the evidence was brought before the judge and the jury deliberated the fence stayed in the spot where it was constructed.

So,...whose fence is it? The one with the most evidence wins in these cases. So if you ever have any questions as to whose fence it is, present your evidence before the judge and let him decide. Or just figure things out before hence the terminology, "Good Neighbor Fence".

Oh,.... I have more to blog about and more to come so keep watching for the Mending Broken Fences blog updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment